SCO Unix /etc/passwd question

Roger Knopf 5502 rogerk at sco.COM
Wed Jul 25 11:56:18 AEST 1990

In article <90204.194456UH2 at psuvm.psu.edu> UH2 at psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) writes:
>The problem:  Several early users had accounts created with home directories
>in /usr.  But I wanted them in the newly created /u.  Sysadmsh doesn't
>seem to have a "move user's HOME directory" command.  So, like in the
>"old days" 8-) I edited /etc/passwd to indicate /u/userid for each
>home directory, and used tar to move everyone's files.
>
>So far, it seems to have worked.  But that warning has me a little
>nervous.
>
>So.  Am I in trouble, or what?

No. If you didn't change anything else, no problem.

>Perhaps someone who has stayed abreast of developments in 3.2
>would explain how the new passwd system works, since the encrypted
>string are no longer in plain view.  Where'd they go?

The encrypted string is in the user's tcb entry in a directory
under /tcb/files/auth. The directory will be the same as the first
initial of the login and the entry within the directory will be
a file with the same name as login, ie user rogerk is:

	/tcb/files/auth/r/rogerk

Don't mess with this file unless you know what you are doing!
Passwords are generated much like under Xenix except that
they can be longer and we no longer truncate it to 8 bytes
before encryption (actually makekey does, but thats another
problem....).

We are trying to come up with a program that demonstrates
proper modification/update of the tcb files via the *prpwent
library calls but its not ready yet. We'll make it available
when its ready.

--
Roger Knopf                                      <standard disclaimer applies>
SCO Consulting Services			  "The True Believers will...formulate