What does ``cpd'' do in SCO UNIX V tcp.

Chip Salzenberg chip at tct.uucp
Wed Jul 4 05:24:35 AEST 1990

[ Question is also relevant to comp.unix.xenix; hence this crosspost. ]

According to ians at saleven.saleven.oz.au (Ian Sergeant):
>In SCO UNIX V tcp distributed with ODT the function of cpd isn't obvious,
>and other daemons network daemons seem to register with it.

The CoPyright Daemon is a grody hack that does periodic UDP broadcasts
to an undocumented port (60000, I think) reporting its serial number,
and which also listens for cpd broadcasts from other hosts.  If any
are received with the same serial number, cpd promptly shuts down the
local host's TCP/IP system.  Feh.

I consider this method of copy protection to be impolite at best,
since it (1) uses broadcasts and (2) causes an immediate shutdown,
when the serial number conflict could possibly be an honest mistake.
--
Chip Salzenberg at ComDev/TCT     <chip at tct.uucp>, <uunet!ateng!tct!chip>