ACE 8-port serial card

Leigh Clayton loc at tmsoft.UUCP
Sat Jul 28 20:16:09 AEST 1990

 I am running 386/ix 2.0.2 on an Intel 25 Mhz 386; I've added a Computone
8-port asynchronous board for increased throughput on my single port (I have a
T2500 which my COM1 port couldn't drive at all well).

 I am very happy with the performance improvement, but I have been having
trouble getting it to work bidirectionally. I have spoken to Computone support
('Angelo'), but as polite as they were, they haven't helped. The local
supporters for 386/ix had no idea what I was talking about, but were pretty
sure it wasn't their problem.

 I am using ttyi00 (no modem control) for output and ttym00 (modem control) for
my getty (I'm actually using a uugetty, but there seems to be little
difference). (I had similar troubles originally with COM1, but ISC's 'X5'
update fixed it at that time).

 The failure I observe is that after any call-out the uugetty gets stuck in
some way, and no-one can call-in. Killing it, resulting in a new uugetty
spawning via init, fixes the trouble until the next call-out.

 I am dealing with the nuisance by running a program named uucico that calls
the original uucico, then runs a shell that kills the uugetty. So far (I only
installed this kluj a couple days ago) it's worked OK but I wondered if anyone
has any sugggestions for a real fix?

- Men argue, Nature acts                       /Voltaire  -
- ...for we never know what is enough,                    -
- until we know what is more than enough.      /Blake     -
- VPIX SUX                                     /Me        -