a bug in u386mon & what is sys3b(2) ???????

Jay Goldberg jag at aix.aix.kingston.ibm.com
Sat Jul 21 00:00:09 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul16.231429.1592 at scuzzy.uucp> src at scuzzy.uucp (Heiko Blume) writes:
>now for the weird part. i grep'ed around and found <sys/swap.h> which says:
[...]
>/*	The following struct is used by the sys3b system call.
[...]
>huh?! what system call ? of course that call isn't in any manuals i have
>and, needless to say, of course i wrote a little program saying
>sys3b(3,&swapinfo), which gave me 'unresolved external' on linking.

sys3b(2) is a system call specific to 3b architecture.  It allows you
to do interesting things to the 3b such as make the green LED flash,
determine the CPU ID, etc etc.

I run a flavor of 386 UN*X that has has archived in libc.a a function
named sysi86() that is a similar interface to the Intel xxx86 line.
Check your docs; they (hopefully) tell you what you can make this call do.

To find out the functions that are included in a given kernel, you can do
some of the following:

	ar -t libc.a (table of contents of what files are archived in libc)
	nm libc.a (namelist of symbols defined in libc)
	nm /unix (namelist of symbols defined in /unix)

Hope this helps!

	TTFN,

		jag
------
Jay A. Goldberg 	| Email inside IBM:    KGNAIX(JAG)
Software Contractor	|		or     jag at aix.aix.kingston.ibm.com
Resource One Inc. 	| Email outside IBM:   uunet!ibmsupt!jag
Phone: (914) 336 7207	| Phone: (914) 385 3384 or 8+695 3384
		**	Who is John Galt?	**