Looking for calendar program

Tom Yager tyager at maxx.UUCP
Thu Jul 12 09:55:23 AEST 1990

In article <306 at cms2.UUCP>, alan at cms2.lonestar.org (Alan McCain) writes:
> I am looking for a calendar program to run under 386ix 2.0.2.  We need to
> be able to set up master calendars for the projects in our office, as well
> as individual calendars.  Must be able to access the calendars by several
> people as well as print them.  We're using vt220 terminals.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Alan

I think I've seen exactly what you're looking for. We just received a copy of a package
called Clockwise. It has group and individual scheduling, allows several people to share
a common database, and extends other "groupware" functions.

Managers can schedule other people's time, and delegate tasks which will appear on
underlings' schedules. Reminders can be sent via either alarms (which you receive only
if you're running Clockwise at the time) or e-mail.

If you get bored, you can check the phase of the moon, read a "fortune"-type MOTD, or
escape out to an external program from Clockwise's menu.

I installed it (under 2.2) and worked with it for a while. Nice, professional feel to it--
nothing cheap or amateurish about it. It doesn't run well under an xterm, but does work
with xpcterm. I don't see any reason for it to fail with a vt220 as long as your
terminfo file is up-to-date. The program does rely heavily on function keys (there are
alternate control sequences) that might slow you down if you're in VT100 mode.

There's lots more to the package than I can go into here. BYTE is considering reviewing
it, but in the meantime, grab an issue of UNIX World/Review/Today--there should be an
ad for Clockwise. Unfortunately, I don'e have the product with me now to give you the
name & address. From what I saw, Clockwise is worth at least a phone call.

By the way, there's a similar package for X Window called Synchronize. It's almost
identical in scope, but it hasn't been ported to 386 UNIX yet.

ISC has a fat catalog of 3rd-party applications. You might look there, too.

(ty)

--
+--Tom Yager, Technical Editor, BYTE----Reviewer, UNIX World---------------+
|  NET: decvax!maxx!tyager     -or-     uunet!bytepb!maxx!tyager           |