Gateway 386s and ESIX installation

Gilbert Chan gichan at blake.u.washington.edu
Mon Jul 16 17:04:13 AEST 1990

I'm posting the following article for a friend, please send your replies
to him DIRECT.

thx.

Hearing all these incompatibility problems, I'm about to purchase a copy of
ESIX. Has anyone had any troubles installing it on a 7/90 vintaged 4 Meg
Gateway 64k cache 33/386 with a CDC Wren III HD (Ultrasor 32K cache ESDI
controller) + ATI VGAWonder w/512K?  The Gateway 386 has a baby-AT sized
Micronics motherboard using the C&T chip set and a 2/88 dated Phoenix BOIS.

One other annoyance I had was a "panic: parity error on motherboard.. Reboot
system.." message when I first tried to install a copy of AT&T Unix/386 V3.2.
I ran all sorts of memory tests (system, EMS, extended) on the Gateway and
found no errors.  The boot disk, however, was designed for non-SCSI (i.e.
ST506 type??) HDs.  The AT&T installation guide did not mention anything about
ESDI.  (I don't know if this panic message has anything to with the boot disk
though it sounded unlikely.)

Q: - do I need a special boot disk for ESDI HDs for the AT&T?
   - do I need to specify a ESDI version specifically when I placed the order
     for ESIX?
   - Is Rev. D ready to ship?

One other question: can I use both a Hardcard 40 and a ESDI HD on the same
machine?  I want to keep on all my DOS stuff on the Hardcard while leave the
Wren III for the Unix apps.  (i.e. Can different HD controllers co-exist
peacefully on the same machine?)

Please e-mail me direct and I'll summarize if there're enough interests.

Thank you,

brian
Internet address: bchan at ddn-eur.ddn.mil