VGA problem with INTERACTIVE

Keith Cantrell kcantrel at digi.lonestar.org
Sat Jul 28 09:12:20 AEST 1990

Vital information:
  Make: Gateway 2000
  Processor: Intel 80386 with 64k cache. NO floating point co-processor.
  Mother board: Micronics 386 ASIC cache
  Processor speed: 25Mhz
  Main Memory: 4 Meg.
  Disk: 110Meg ESDI
  Disk controler: Ultrastor ultra 12(F)
  Monitor: 1024x780 VGA Tatung model CM-1498X
  Video controler: OEM-VGA-300190  (says VGA-WONDER on the card)
  Video BIOS: ATI wonder  date: 2/20/90 version: 1.16e
  Serial controler: DIO-500 Multi-I/O card

First of all I want to thank all of you who responded to my problem with not
being able to access my second serial port.  The problem was the sdevice
config file:

sdevice should have the lines:

asy	Y	1	7	1	4	3f8	3ff	0	0
asy	Y	1	7	1	3	2f8	2ff	0	0

A lack of the "Y" as the second entry is what was causing my problem.

The last (Naa, better make that the current) problem I am having, is that I
am unable to put my VGA card into 80x43 mode.  I used the ioctl call

           ioctl (fd, SW_ENHC80x43, 0);

but it just clears my screen and make it where I can't see what I am typing.

When I use the ioctl call:

           ioctl (fd, SW_ENHC80x25, 0);

It cleans things up, but I would like to be able to put my screen into 43
line mode.

As a test I went into the VP/IX and started up the Norton utility that lets
you set the background color and line per screen etc, etc, and it worked
just fine, so it is possible for the card to be put into this mode.  Is
there another configuration file somewhere that I need to set to tell
Interactive what kind of VGA card I have?  I did the ioctl that returns
what kind of display it thinks it is has, and it returned VGA.

By the way, does any body have an auto-logout program for modem lines that
are inactive for a specified amount of time?

Thanks again,

Keith Cantrell

Keith Cantrell                    Phones:  hm: 214-492-1088
                                           wk: 214-519-2399 @ DSC
internet:  kcantrel at digi.lonestar.org
uucp:      texbell!digi!kcantrel