Xenix vs. UNIX

Dave Bakken bakken at cs.arizona.edu
Fri Jul 13 04:33:59 AEST 1990

In article <99 at raysnec.UUCP> shwake at raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:
 >In article <1990Jun29..185 at rdk386.uucp> ron at rdk386.UUCP (Ron Kuris) writes:
 >>
 >>Why not just use gcc and not worry about the abnormalities of the "standard"
 >>compiler provided with Xenix?  I agree its broken, but the compiler doesn't
 >>make the entire system unusable, especially when there are alternatives...
 >
 >	This response is just a tad facile for my taste. GCC doesn't always
 >	make life easier. I had my first encounter with GCC last week after
 >	a colleague installed it on his Sequent Balance. Well, here was an
 >	opportunity to see what all the fuss was about. Moved some of my
 >	source over, checked flags and file locations, typed "make".
 >
 >	Given my System V biases, tried compiling in the ATT environment.
 >	Had to modify a few macro contructs to make them "ansi conformant",
 >	but things got REAL interesting in the link/load phase. It just
 >	couldn't find the c runtime module! Found the module in /.lib
 >	(that damn universe again!). OK, back to BSD. Argh! Can't find
 >	_regex, _strchr, ...
 >
 >	Morale: GNU CC... It *might* work for you.

Your problem here is not GCC but rather is DYNIX's retarded dual universes,
which IMO is just a way of avoiding the task of integrating the two worlds,
like virtually every other Unix vendor has done.  Vendors have been providing
this for many years, so much so that a lot of sources in comp.sources
assume routines from both universes.  These things compile with
no problems, in general, on most systems, but it is a pain on DYNIX.
This has been a pain for us when doing development work for our
distributed programming language, SR, on a Sequent Symmetry running
DYNIX.
Dave Bakken                     Internet: bakken at cs.arizona.edu
Dept. of Comp. Sci.; U.of Ariz. UUCP:     uunet!arizona!bakken
Tucson, AZ 85721; USA           Bitnet:   bakken%cs.arizona.edu at Arizrvax
AT&T: +1 602 621 4098           FAX:      +1 602 621 4246