SCO Unix /etc/passwd question

Rick Stout rick at crash.cts.com
Sun Jul 29 05:13:09 AEST 1990

In article <90204.194456UH2 at psuvm.psu.edu> UH2 at psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) writes:
>There is this big warning in the manuals---do not edit /etc/passwd
>with a text editor!!!!---which I have just ignored.  Am I in for
>trouble.
>
>The problem:  Several early users had accounts created with home directories
>in /usr.  But I wanted them in the newly created /u.  Sysadmsh doesn't
>seem to have a "move user's HOME directory" command.  So, like in the
>"old days" 8-) I edited /etc/passwd to indicate /u/userid for each
>home directory, and used tar to move everyone's files.
>
>So far, it seems to have worked.  But that warning has me a little
>nervous.
>
>So.  Am I in trouble, or what?

You should be OK.  I had set up users and then had to restore
the whole system from tape.  In the process somehow I lost the
user accounts in the /etc/passwd file.  (maybe the restore
won't overwrite the protected password database).

I couldn't add the users then because the subsystem said that
user name had been used before, and once an account is retired,
it is supposedly gone for good.

I figured I had nothing to lose so I edited the /etc/passwd file
to add all the user names I had fore.  I did make sure I gave
them the same uid numbers, but I don't know if it would matter.
I think you could just chown the files to the new user name.

It worked fine.  I did have to go into the sysadmsh and manually
re-establish the authorizations for the users.

Make sure you have an OVERIDE tty defined and I would also have
a copy of the passwd file.

Rick