Interactive and me - An open letter to ISC.

Vidiot brown at vidiot.UUCP
Sun Jul 15 13:41:44 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul11.164044.7241 at sco.COM> jim at iggy.UUCP (Jim Sullivan) writes:
<While I do not speak for my company, only for myself, I do feel I understand the
<reasoning behind serialization codes.  People steal software and serialization
<codes are an attempt to prevent people from stealing software.  In the general
<environment, they are a good idea.  I have, on numereous occassions, dealt with
<customers who have purchased one copy of the software and then installed it on
<several machines and then called to complain that they are having trouble
<getting the different machines to talk to each other!  We've distributed
<software with serialization codes for years (this was before we became SCO
<Canada), with few complaints, except for the people who were trying to cheat
<us.

What good are the keys if the person that does the installing on multiple
machines has the key?  The key will only stop someone who rips off the software
without managing to rip off the key code.

For the real user, it only hinders, not helping in any manner.
--
      harvard\     att!nicmad\        spool.cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
Vidiot  ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown