Interactive 2.2 problems

WB3FFV howardl at wb3ffv.ampr.org
Sat Jul 7 04:21:02 AEST 1990

>From article <384 at denwa.uucp>, by jimmy at denwa.info.com (Jim Gottlieb):
>
> After posting my recent impression of Interactive 2.2 being horribly
> slow, I  decided to do a simple unofficial comparison between 2.2 and
> 2.0.2.
>
> 6386E with 4 meg of RAM and 2.0.2:	6 seconds
> 6386E with 16 meg of RAM and 2.2:      31 seconds
>
> Both machines were not heavily loaded at the time.

   Hello,

I am not sure what is happening on your machine, as I now have the
Interactive 2.2 Workstation Developer installed on my DTK-386 machine.
I am using a full configuration with almost every option except the
2K file system installed (Interactives FFS is much better). I just
shelled out to run the above 'ps' test, and the system was under
considerable load (unbatching NEWS, 3 UUCP connections, 2 users, and
one X window session).  The first invocation of ps took about three
seconds, while a repeat call to ps took under one second.  I truly
believe that you must have a problem in the system setup, or possibly
somthing strange going on in the hardware.  I wish I could offer some
suggestions to your problem, but I don't think you can say that the
2.2 release is the cause of the problem you are having.  I almost
forgot, this system is running with 8 meg of RAM, so it should be some
middle ground based on the above information you provided...