TCP/IP Networking -- how do you make it work?

tom hampton tom at litle.litle.com
Wed Jul 4 01:53:26 AEST 1990

We have been banging away trying to get heterogeneous networking
over TCP/IP going at our shop.  We keep running into little snags,
we find problems and trudge on.  So, I ask:

1) Who out there is doing heterogeneous networking using
   Unix and other TCP/IP implemenations?

2) Is anyone having success doing networking on 386's?  If so, whose
   TCP/IP package are you using on the 386?

3) Do you have any specific advice on how we get this going faster?  For
   example, should we have a LAN analyzer (which one?) should we stick
   with a certain box for development (Sun?)

4) Does anyone recommend building a TCP/IP module for general purpose
   use -- something that hides some of the complexity of the Berkely
   socket interface?

5) Do people hire consultants to do this sort of work??  Do you
   recommend anyone in particular?

Your responses to these questions represents a valued resource to us,
thanks for your time.
 Tom Hampton, Mgr. New Technology, Litle & Co. | POB A218, Hanover, NH 03755
 603 643 1832