PCI/TCP

Daniel A. Graifer dag at fciva.FRANKLIN.COM
Mon Jul 23 22:41:53 AEST 1990

In article <445 at comcon.UUCP> tim at comcon.UUCP (Tim Brown) writes:
>I am having some difficulty getting PCI to talk to a host [...]
>
>	The pc simply will not find the host.  [...]
>   [...]
>Tim Brown
>nstar!comcon!tim

First, a perhaps to obvious question.  Check your broadcast addresses and
internet network class.  The PCI map-server broadcasts a map of available
hosts, and your pc-client needs to be able to receive this broadcast.  I
believe this will work as long as the host and client have the same network
class.

Do you have some Messy-DOS ftp software such as FTP Inc.'s PC/TCP or Intercon's
PC-Connect?  Try using one of these, or some other software to determine whether
your problem is really with PCI or with your hardware.  I've had occasional
trouble with Everex 25Mhx 386 & WD8003 as a PCI Client.  Never could isolate
HW vs Software, but I've never seen the problem with an NI5210.

Finally, Locus Computing is reachable on the net. I have the E-mail handle of
one support person their from a couple of years ago.  Julia Broidy can be sent
mail at seas.ucla.edu!lcc.jeb.  I don't know if she's still there.  Did you
buy PCI from Locus, or from a remarketer such as your unix vendor?  If the
later, be forewarned that they may refer you back to the vendor.

It occurs to me that you might get more response on comp.dcom.lans than here
in comp.unix.i386.  I have added that group to the newsgroup list.

Good luck,
Dan
Disclaimer:  We have no relationship with Locus Computing except as very
satisfied customers, and we didn't even buy PCI directly from them.
--
Daniel A. Graifer			Franklin Mortgage Capital Corporation
uunet!dag at fmccva.franklin.com		7900 Westpark Drive, Suite A130