Interactive and me - An open letter to ISC.

Jim Sullivan jim at sco.COM
Thu Jul 12 06:40:44 AEST 1990

In article <3126 at rsiatl.UUCP> jgd at rsiatl.UUCP (John G. DeArmond) writes:

>SCO was the client's initial choice for the OS.  It had a lot of
>support within the organization.  Then SCO started their serialization
>crap.  It is my policy to do everything within my power to kick out
>vendors who implement such systems....
> <deleted>
>We found that damn serialization
>card just like the one that got SCO the boot.  Guess what?  ISC is
>getting the same boot that SCO did.  We will most likely end up with
>an AIX solution as much as I hate IBM.

While I can understand John's problems with the administrative problems that
serialization keys generate, I feel that there is a general mis-understanding
of the reasoning behind the use of serialization keys.

While I do not speak for my company, only for myself, I do feel I understand the
reasoning behind serialization codes.  People steal software and serialization
codes are an attempt to prevent people from stealing software.  In the general
environment, they are a good idea.  I have, on numereous occassions, dealt with
customers who have purchased one copy of the software and then installed it on
several machines and then called to complain that they are having trouble
getting the different machines to talk to each other!  We've distributed
software with serialization codes for years (this was before we became SCO
Canada), with few complaints, except for the people who were trying to cheat
us.

Software piracy exists and until the ethics and morals of the software user
community improve, companies will have to go to serialization codes and such
to try and prevent software piracy.  If anyone has a better idea of how to
prevent multiple copies of the software to be installed, then please, present
their solution.

As a final note, it is my understanding that SCO has the ability to provide
site-liciences for large installations.  Perhaps you should talk directly
to your SCO sales rep and see what he has to offer.

Again, I am speaking only for myself.

--
Jim Sullivan					Youth Culture Killed My Puppy!
SCO Canada Inc. (Formerly HCR Corporation)