Interesting ISC Support Policy

Francois Pinard pinard at IRO.UMontreal.CA
Thu Jul 5 04:57:25 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul4.073241.5079 at robobar.co.uk> ronald at robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) writes:

   In article <44666 at ism780c.isc.com> support at ism780c.UUCP (Support account) writes:
   > Contact INTERACTIVE Sales and Marketing at the above number (1 800 346
   > 7111) for additional information regarding our Partner support offering.

   Seeing as one of the posters in this thread is from Oz, how about a
   number we can call from outside USA and/or info regarding whether or
   not such a number would be of any use to anyone ?

Let me mumble a little about a previous experience with ISC.  These
800 numbers are usually unattainable even from Canada (I did not check
this last one, to be honest).  Bell operators or directory assistance
will not translate these numbers to usable ones.  Just getting the
correct numbers might a frustrating cruisade, being forwarded from one
number to the other, using these international long distance calls to
answer questionnaires over the phone line to some harsh operator
evidently filling forms at the other end, longly being put on hold
sometimes.  And all of that to finally hear about support policies,
and be invited to get the hardware repaired.

Incidentally, the `hardware problem' turned out to solve mysteriously
and completely when a new version of the system came out.  Grrr!
Simply said, this is non-support.  If I only had the sources, I would
have solved the problem myself.  Another argument in favor of the Free
Software Fundation!
Franc,ois Pinard          ``Vivement GNU!''         pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
(514) 588-4656    cp 886 L'Epiphanie (Qc) J0K 1J0    ...!uunet!iros1!pinard