Help needed with ISC 2.2 installation.

George Vokalek gvokalek at augean.ua.OZ.AU
Thu Jul 19 22:41:18 AEST 1990

I am having a really nasty time installing ISC version 2.2 on
my machine, and I hope some of you may be able to help.

After inserting the INSTALL floppy (follows the BOOT floppy),
I get a menu which asks about my keyboard.  So far so good.
Next comes a little ANSI text box with stripes of various
colours, and the machine asks 'Are these stripes of different
colour?'.  This is where the problems begin.

At this point, I get the following message:

Fatal error in UI server (sig 11).

The installation program has crashed.  I press CTRL-\ to interrupt,
and attempt a shutdown.  The shutdown proceeds normally until the
line 'shutting down system' is printed, at which point I get a
BUS ERROR and CORE DUMPED.  I cannot shut the system down.  I press
hard RESET and try to reboot.  The file system is repaired, but the
exact same fault occurs at the same position in the installation
process.

My system configuration:

Informtech 386/33MHz.
8MB memory (I have tried with 4MB main board memory, same problem)
780MEG Miniscribe 9780E with WD1007V controller
        The drive works OK under DOS.  I have tried with an ST506
        40MEG drive instead - same problem.
EXPERT VGA card with Trident chipset, 512k RAM.

I have other sundry cards, but they have been removed for the time
being until this is problem is fixed.

Is it possible for the VGA card to corrupt main memory?  I had
some experiences with QEMM-386 which showed that unless I stopped
QEMM from using memory adjacent to the 64k VGA RAM area, I would b
get crashes when using the 640x480x256 display mode.  Is it
possible that the same thing is happening here?  If so, why is it
happening.

Another problem:  ISC claim to support the TMC830 SCSI adaptor
from Future Domain.  However, with this adaptor and a Maxtor
drive plugged into my machine, the BOOT diskette from ISC would
hang at the point where it should ask for the INSTALL diskette.
I know the drive is OK since it works fine under DOS.

Another complaint:  ISC Operating System Manual / Installation
Procedures / Page 8 says that the user should make a backup
of the INSTALL floppy using DOS diskcopy.  Unfortunately, DOS
diskcopy will not read the disk, and reports each track as
unreadable (the same is true of the BOOT diskette, which you
are also told to backup).

Any help will be appreciated,

..G..