gas on ISC 386/ix

Paul de Bra wsinpdb at lso.win.tue.nl
Wed Jul 4 18:17:18 AEST 1990

In article <551 at csource.oz.au> david at csource.oz.au (david nugent) writes:
>Has anyone managed to get GNU's assembler running under Interactive
>386/ix yet?  I got it to compile with few problems, but now I'm faced
>with what appears to be an 'incompatible' a.out format that it seems
>to be producing.  The object files it produces are rejected by the
>linker.

Yep, you need to use the GNU loader, and all other binutils, as the
object format is indeed different. (you need a different ar, nm, strip,...)

There also is a util to convert the normal libraries to GNU format,
so as to be able to link gcc-gas generated code with standard libs.

Going with gas is a serious commitment.
But it can become necessary when you start hitting bugs or limitations
in the AT&T assembler or linker (as you do with g++)

Paul.
(debra at research.att.com)