Tape cartridge hung

Lee Sailer UH2 at psuvm.psu.edu
Thu Jul 26 00:31:15 AEST 1990

We are having a problem where a
   tar cv dirname
commands "seems" to start working, but then freezes up.  The
default in /etc/default/tar seems right.  The tape /dev/rct0 starts
to whir, and tar prints out the first 6 or 7 files being added to the
archive, but then the tape and the tar output just come to a halt.

Nothing seems to kill it except removing the tape cartridge, which causes
a tar:  write error  message.

Reading with $ tar xv  just produces some more whirring of the tape
drive, followed after 10 seconds or so by a tar: cannot read and a
read: i/o error.

Details:  SCO Unix 3.2 on Compaq 386/33 with Compaq 150/250 drive.
          tape rewind; tape reset seem to function but do not cure problem.
           /etc/default/tar sets block to 20 and size to 100000.
           tar works when output goes to an ordinary file.

We are currently looking around for another Drive to swap, to see if
it is a hardware problem.  SCO is thinking.  We are thinking.  I hope
somebody out there has already seen and fixed this one.

                                                       Thanks.  lee