lpadmin(8) question

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at mtndew.UUCP
Wed Jun 6 01:32:53 AEST 1990

Stuart Lynne writes:
> The other commonly suggested method is to implement a lock in the interface
> script, so that no more than one process can proceed and output to the
> physical device at one time.
>
> [ description of script deleted ]

Better than using lock files is to use file locks on the tty (stdout).
This way you get guaranteed mutual exclusion, and if the process holding
the lock dies, cleanup is automatic.  A C program can do this easily.

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY / Software Consultant / Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561  / friedl at mtndew.Tustin.CA.US  / {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

"I will defend to your death my right to my opinion" - me