Interactive UNIX 2.2

Buster Irby rli at buster.irby.com
Fri Jun 1 01:29:13 AEST 1990

capslock at wet.UUCP (Allen Crider) writes:

>Amazing to see Interactive charge such prices for their upgrade. SystemV.4
>is overdue now--how are they going to compete when it finally hits the streets?
> I'd advise anyone who can stand the wait to wait for V.4. AT&T charges
>lower license fees than for V.3. MAYBE these lower license fees will actually
>get passed on to us dummies!

I would not recommend any such thing to anyone.  The information I have
says that SysV.4.0 is a SCHEDULE DRIVEN RELEASE of the product.  To me that
means bugs, and possibly lots of them.  Only those people who must start
porting their products to V.4 should even attempt to use this first release!
Also, according to AT&T, your plain vanilla V.3 product will run slower
in V.4 that it did under V.3.  I have been on the leading edge of
technology many times and burned too many times as a result.  I would
suggest that most people want to stick with V.3 until V.4.2 or later
is released!
--
Buster Irby  buster!rli