X11R4 for i386 Unix

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Sat Jun 30 03:43:20 AEST 1990

In article <4605 at infmx.UUCP> aland at infmx.UUCP (alan denney) writes:

| AT&T's own SV386 R3.2.2 supports console operation over either serial
| port.  The feature is referred to as Alternate/Remote Console.  You
| can enable Alternate console (COM2, e.g. terminal) or Remote console
| (COM1, e.g. a modem to a remote terminal) via a kernel parameter.
| If you boot without a monitor attached, it supposedly switches the
| console to COM2 automatically.

  I'm helping evaluate o/s for a series of remote industrial control
boxes running some flavor of unix or Xenix. Most of these will be
accessed by dial-up phone and SL/IP. Some may be ethernet. None will
have any form of local display.

  Needless to say I'm following this thread closely.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX