Unix on a T5200?

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Wed Jun 13 03:27:16 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun11.023538.7101 at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> johnl at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:

>Running on batteries is unimportant, when I'm on a plane I sleep.  The Toshiba
>T5200 appears to qualify nicely on every point except perhaps the last.  (It
>has one long and one short internal slot, enough for an internal Telebit modem
>and an Ethernet card.)  Has anyone actually run 386/ix or some other Unix on
>one?

Not only have I seen it running, I saw it at the Interactive booth at
Uniforum! Toshiba has offered ISC as one of its UNIX options (the others
being Toshiba's own TP/ix and SCO Xenix). I was told that the standard,
off-the-shelf version for AT-class machines (3-1/2" media) would work
with the Toshiba, but have also heard that a special driver may be required
to support the on-board VGA plasma screen. Anyone know for sure?

Though it IS pricey, it's also the class act in portable UNIX boxes. The
recently announced portable Sparcstation from Toshiba, once it arrives in
the U.S., will probably be more of a niche product - at twice the price of
the 5200. Would LOVE to see that model's screen replace that of the 5200...
higher resolution, easier on the eyes.