Did you know SCO ODT is SINGLE USER ONLY??

Eric Scott Deese esd at liebert.uucp
Wed Jun 13 00:35:16 AEST 1990

In article <1092 at dms.UUCP> morris at dms.UUCP (Jim Morris) writes:
>Did you  know that SCO's Open Desktop product is single user only??
 [ ... ]
>What I would like to know is if this is widely known, is anyone else surprised.
>Am I dense or did I just miss the bit about 1 login only in all the ODT hype.
 [ ... ]
>If I just missed the "Single User" paragraph in the sales blurb I apologise
>to SCO, but everyone here who was in on the purchase decision also missed it!
>
>	A somewhat dismayed ex-SCO user.
>--
>Jim Morris.         {motcsd|weitek}!dms!morris or morris at dms.UUCP

I don't understand this at all.  From the very beginning, my
understanding has been:

	SCO Open DeskTop (2 user)		$ 1000
	SCO Open DeskTop multi-user upgrade	$ 1500
	SCO Open DeskTop Development System	$ 1500
	SCO repackaged Elan Eroff		$  800 to 1000

All of this adds up to some really megabucks.  It is particularly
attractive to me because it comes with Ingres.  If you go out and
buy Ingres seperately, the price is significantly higher.  Your
mileage may vary, and if all you want is UNIX + X-windows +
multi-user + development + networking, then ESIX (maybe 386/IX)
is cheaper.  But, ODT does include DOS, Ingres and LAN Manager
(I think).  These other pieces cost more.  Besides, SCO has
always charged more for their product.  This doesn't suprise me.

Eric Deese (osu-cis!liebert!esd)