Interactive UNIX 2.2

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Sat Jun 2 00:32:37 AEST 1990

In article <1242 at wet.UUCP> capslock at wet.UUCP (Allen Crider) writes:
>Amazing to see Interactive charge such prices for their upgrade. SystemV.4
>is overdue now--how are they going to compete when it finally hits the streets?
> I'd advise anyone who can stand the wait to wait for V.4. AT&T charges
>lower license fees than for V.3. MAYBE these lower license fees will actually
>get passed on to us dummies!

If System V.4 is overdue from Interactive, it's overdue from just about
everyone. After all, how many deliverable implementations have you seen?

As to the "wait for it" argument, that all depends on whether what you
need requires functionality only available under V.4. The latter will
grow substantially in both memory and disk resource requirements according
to all I've read - enough so that any modest cost savings resulting from
lower license fees will more than be eaten up by extra resource costs.