xedit Problem

0000-Admin0000 root at mustang.dell.com
Thu Jun 14 00:13:47 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun13.013740.7664 at virtech.uucp>, cpcahil at virtech.uucp
(Conor P. Cahill) writes:
> In article <30700 at cup.portal.com> Jerome_V_Vollborn at cup.portal.com writes:
> >
> >	I have just installed Interactive Version 2.2 (this is a new
> >site) and am having a problem with xedit.  When I try to load a large
> >C file (>1500 lines; I didn't write it, I simply have to maintain it)
> >xedit exits and puts up the message "Memory fault".  UNIX does not
> >panic so I don't think this is a real memory error, but I didn't see
>
> The "memory fault" message is probably from your shell when it detects that
> the xedit program aborted because the kernel caught it trying to go outside
> of it's memory space.  This kind of problem is usually caused by a bad
pointer
> or by running off the end of an array.  Since you are trying to edit a large
> file I would bet that xedit is running off the end of an array.
>
> Anyway, UNIX *should* not panic no matter what your program tries to do.

Yes, the xedit client is very buggy.  It will core dump anytime you attempt
to performa a "profound operation", like, oh... save a file bigger than your
.profile.  ;-)    Seriously, it has some problems, the BUGS section of the
man page is all too brief, it only mentions two problems, neither of them
nearly as critical as those mentioned above.

I normally just use vi in an xterm...

James Howard
Dell Computer Corp.
jrh at mustang.dell.com

The opinions expressed are my own, and not necessarily
those of my employer.