How is expreserve supposed to work?.

Thomas Omerzu omerzu at quando.UUCP
Fri Jun 1 19:31:57 AEST 1990

In article <696 at hades.OZ> greyham at hades.OZ (Greyham Stoney) writes:
>We've got a problem with expreserve: the normal operation of it under 386/ix
>don't work too well.
[...]
>Isn't something somewhere supposed to feed these editor temporaries into
>expreserve to save them before nukeing /tmp when the system comes up?.

Well, you're right.
In /etc/rc (or whatever it is called on your System)
you will find some statements that erase /tmp.

Immediately before doing this, the system should execute expreserve:
	( cd /tmp ; /usr/lib/expreserve -a )

This will save all editor-temporaries to /usr/preserve
and inform the owners by mail.

Hope this helps.

Thomas Omerzu, omerzu at quando.quantum.de