Unix/386 lint -- how good?

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Thu Jun 14 22:15:41 AEST 1990

In article <152 at stephsf.UUCP> wengland at stephsf.UUCP (Bill England) writes:
>  I'll bet that if SCO used the MW compiler that their system preformance
>  would improve. ( Goes also for Interactive and Esix. )

However, new compilers introduce new bugs and usually take a significant effort
to implement (i.e. to solve the compilation problems, add additional compiler
directives, etc).

I'm not saying that it will, just that it probably will.  Someone would have
to run a test compile using the new compiler and then evaluate the effort
required to do the port (changing compilers is equivalent to a system port).

The other side of the issue is that someone would have to guage the expected
performance increase and whether the performance gain would be perceived by
the user (i.e. changing it so that grep only took 1.0 seconds instead of
1.3 seconds would be almost un-perceivable to the normal user even though
the statistics would show an almost 30% gain).
                                                Sterling, VA 22170