Strange effects of TZ on su -l

Martin Weitzel martin at mwtech.UUCP
Sat Jun 2 06:28:57 AEST 1990

In article <GU3FQ8L at geminix.mbx.sub.org> gemini at geminix.mbx.sub.org (Uwe Doering) writes:
>john at design.axis.fr (John H) writes:

[about problems with certain characters in the "TZ" environment variable]

>I've experienced the same problem here in Germany. There seems to be a
>bug in `su' that prevents it from working with the long form of the
>time zone string. Eventually I gave up and returned to the short form.

Me too.

>It's easier to change this string twice a year than to change it whenever
>you want to use `su'. Hope this is fixed in Interactives 2.2 release.

Yes, the price of having a system that doesn't boot - which can also
occur in this situation - is too high.

My "philosphy" in this respect tends to become:

	- let the system run with UTC (also the hardware
	  clock runs with this setting)

	- let every user who wants it set TZ in the ".profile"
	  or ".login"

Eventually I will supply two files with apropriate TZ settings,
and link these files alternately to one standard name when DST
switches. Everyone who likes may then include this standard file
in the login configuration.

Well, not only with respect to the purged DES algorithms, also
concerning timezones we europeans sometimes feel a little like
"second class citizens" if we use "ami-ware" (= american hard-
and software) ... 1/2:-).
--
Martin Weitzel, email: martin at mwtech.UUCP, voice: 49-(0)6151-6 56 83