Problem with IRQ2 and SCO Unix solved

Anthony Shipman als at bohra.cpg.oz
Fri Jun 1 19:21:58 AEST 1990

This is a reply to thank the people who helped and to report what I have
learned:

/--
| Is IRQ2 usable with SCO Unix?
\--

 wul at sco.com (Wu Liu -- Member, Technical Staff The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.)
replied:

> Yes.  The standard configuration for network cards used internally
> with TCP/IP (3c501s, 3c503s, WD8003s) is IRQ2.
>
> I haven't tried setting a tape controller to use IRQ2; all of the tape
> drives I've configured have been set for IRQ5, or in one case, IRQ7.
> I'll have to give this a try sometime...

It turns out I had a hardware problem. The vital clue was:

> From: gemini at geminix.mbx.sub.org (Uwe Doering)
>
> 386/ix works with IRQ2, too. The only difficulty may be that you have to
> remember that on AT and 386 boards IQR2 on the bus side corresponds to
> IRQ9 on the software side. Therefor if you want to use a device on IRQ2
> you have to tell UNIX (during the device installation) that it is on
> IRQ9. If the configuration program won't let you do this you can change
> it by hand in the /etc/conf/sdevice.d directory.
>
> There is one thing to consider, though. Most EGA and VGA cards use IRQ2
> for their vertical retrace interrupt. This interrupt is absolutely
> unnecessary under UNIX, and I don't know any DOS programs that need this
> IRQ, either. It's there simply for compatibility reasons with the original
> IBM EGA card. You have to disable this IRQ on these cards. Some have a
> jumper for that purpose, but on most you have to cut the track that leads
> to the B4 bus contact (it's the fourth contact on the solder side, counted
> from the side where the monitor connector is). I have done this several
> times and havn't had any problems from that.

Cutting the IRQ2 line (edge connector B4) solved the problem. Both the tape
controller and 3com ethernet board now work fine at IRQ2. I have settled on the
ethernet board at IRQ2=9 and the tape controller at IRQ5 to give the ethernet
board a higher priority. I don't know how important this is but it sounds good
(and it's the standard SCO configuration).

/--
| How can I use IRQ3 or IRQ4?
\--

Again a hardware problem. The motherboard still had the serial ports connected
to IRQ3,4. I haven't tried it but I expect that all I had to do was disable the
serial ports in both software and hardware.

Anthony Shipman                               ACSnet: als at bohra.cpg.oz.au
Computer Power Group
9th Flr, 616 St. Kilda Rd.,
St. Kilda, Melbourne, Australia