Serial port interrupts

Michael Ginsberg mg32+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Jun 29 21:11:03 AEST 1990

I have been trying to write a com driver for the intel 80386 family of machines
and have been having a strange problem.  At some point in time, I stop seeing
interrupts.  They are enabled, and I can manually throw characters out on to
the line.  However, I simply don't get a transmit interrupt.  The same happens
on the reverse side, with the receive interrupt not coming in.  Is there a
known bug with the standard UART, or is there something bizarra that I have to
do to prevent the chip from going into a strange state?  Any help would be
appreciated.

--Michael Ginsberg, i386 Mach Group, School of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA