X11R4 VGA server problems

Atula Herath atula at cs.keele.ac.uk
Tue Jun 12 08:28:53 AEST 1990

>From article <1990Jun9.021336.27573 at uncecs.edu>, by spell at uncecs.edu (Chris Spell):
> please HELP!!
>
> I have compiled X11R4 on a Sys V R3.2 386 box.  I finally got
> the server running, but it doesn't seem to be accepting
> conections.  All i get is the grey window with an X in the
> center of the screen.  The mouse works great, but without any
> clients i guess it is kinda pointless. :-)
>

> When i type xinit I get the grey screen and a few minutes later
> i give up and stop the server and the following is displayed on
> my screen.

I had the same problem. Later I realized my problem was with the
libdbm.a, I used gdbm1-3 and first compiled that with GCC.

Compile this with Interactive's cc and make sure that it uses
interactive's alloca ( You have to include -lPw.)

In fact you can diagnose this. Try to run the 'showrgb' program. If
it dumps the core then you are having the same problem. Your xinit
must be dumping the core (have a look there should be a core file
somewhere.) Because it can't read the dbm file.

After recompilation of this you have to rebuild the server. (you may
have to include -lPw in all Makefiles (via Imakefile.)

I hope this helps.

Athula.