FAS on SCO ODT ???

Chip Rosenthal chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM
Sun Jun 17 05:12:51 AEST 1990

>> I waded into the driver a little and found that fasinit() was calling a
>> UART test routine that in turn called delay() [...]
>> I stubbed the test routine out and the driver came up fine.

That test routine is what decides whether or not the UART has a FIFO.  I
don't think you want to chuck it entirely.

I played around with FAS a bit with SCO XENIX, which has the same limitations
of calling delay() in an xxinit() routine.  I just #define'ed delay() to
call a procedure which does a counting loop.  Since the delay is just to
"let the UART settle a bit" after configuring it and before pounding data
through it, the timing is not critical.  However, I didn't feel comfortable
chucking the delay entirely.  Although I didn't contact the author or
experiment around with it, it doesn't seem to be the sort of thing one
adds without a good reason.  The busy loop stuff is definately ugly, but
given that it runs once during initialization time, it isn't that bad a
compromise.

BTW...to forestall the obvious next question, I never fully debugged the
faswrite() routine, so I don't have a FAS for XENIX I can send out.  Sorry.

--
Chip Rosenthal                            |  You aren't some icon carved out
chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM                  |  of soap, sent down here to clean