interface/graphics development environments for 386/RS6000

Charles Earl cearl at aristotle.ils.nwu.edu
Thu Jun 14 01:40:27 AEST 1990

We will be developing multimedia (e.g. video, animation, digitized images,etc.)
based educational software using ibm RS/6000s and 386's as development
platforms -- assume UNIX environment. Initial development will most likely
 occur on the RISC machines but
the 386's are intended target (we will actually be using 386s for some months
until RISCs arrive).

We have been a MacII shop, doing most development in Mac Common Lisp.
I am trying to decide on an appropriate development environment and
would like feedback from the experts. We would like to use
Lisp/Scheme, but Smalltalk, C++, C, etc. would be ok if no other
options for graphics environments exist.

The environment should:

	(1) Facillitate construction of window-based applications. This also
	    implies support of important window env features like buttons,
	    icons, etc.
	(2) Support development of fast, attractive animation -- that is,
	    we would want fairly rich graphics libraries/packages.
	(3) Allow development of multimedia applications, especially those
	    which would incorporate video.
	(4) Have a foreign function facility (e.g. would allow calls to Pascal,
	    C, etc.).
	(5) Provide support of object - oriented programming (this is not
	    essential ).

Any ideas, comments appreciated