hardware costs

George Bron Faison Bron at cup.portal.com
Sun Jun 3 17:42:09 AEST 1990

Regarding min config needed; I'm running ISC's 386/ix 2.0.1 on
a 20 MHz Toshiba T5200 with 4 MB of memory and 100 MB hard disk
(also has 1.44 3.5 disk, built in VGA Mono (Plasma) and weighs in
at about 20 lbs.) I actually booted and ran it w/2 MB initially but
didn't push my luck there long |>).

Although this isn't a cheap machine, it's certainly not close
to the size I hear people claiming you'll need in the press, etc.
BTW, everything's run quite well w/only a few minor problems (due to
ISC's poor manuals) during initial setup w/vpix, etc.

I have the Software Dev. Sys., VP/ix, , Oracle, etc. (No X, though)
so it's not a "bare bones" system by any means. I even have a 16 MB
DOS partition on the disk.  I still have 24% of my UNIX partition open
(yeah, it's getting a bit full now).  (And sure, we have some big
systems here, too!)

Another point, a lot of my clients running DOS are now ordering their
machines with 4-8 MB of memory and 300 MB hard disk drives (and more
UNIX solutions sneak in and find a home!) sinc elot's of DOS programs
now demand lots of mem and disk, too.

There're lots of 25 MHz 4 MB RAM 150 MB disk Unix 386 boxes you can
put together for around $5,000 or so if you shop hard (though I admit
a bit more if you want the "brand name" stuff).  Would I have believed
you if you told me a couple of years ago that I could carry a UNIX
development system around like a typewriter? Gee whiz!

Bron
Modern Office Systems Technology, Inc.
6006-B Mechanicsville 'Pike                 Bron at cup.portal.com
Mechanicsville, VA 23111                    (804) 730-1467 voice