lpadmin(8) question

Stuart Lynne sl at van-bc.UUCP
Sat Jun 2 11:26:18 AEST 1990

In the man page for lpadmin:

	-vdevice	..... Note that there is nothng to stop a system
			manager from associating the same device with more
			than one printer.

Does this mean that there is nothing to stop you from doing this so don't do
it?

Or that lpsched is designed to pay attention to having multiple destinations
some with the same physical device.

Which is what I need to do. I have two different packages that want to
install specialized lp destinations with appropriate filters. Can I install
both and have lp figure out how multiplex the requests for the two
destinations to the one physical printer?

Or will I have to hack the two interfaces together and add options?

On van-bc (SCO Xenix 2.3.2) at least it appears as though lp gets things
mixed up and start's to send requests to both destinations simultanously.

This is approxiametely what I did to test lp:

	lpadmin -pdest1 -idest1 -v/dev/ttyal
	lpadmin -pdest2 -idest2 -v/dev/ttyal

	lp -ddest1 file1
	lp -ddest2 file2

What I wanted was for file1 to be printed, followed by file2. What I got was
file1 intermingled with file2 being printed.

--
Stuart.Lynne at wimsey.bc.ca ubc-cs!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

--
Stuart.Lynne at wimsey.bc.ca ubc-cs!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice)