spell

Ulrich Lauther lauther at janus.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Jun 6 04:06:25 AEST 1990

In article <91 at grumbly.UUCP> root at grumbly.com writes:

>	Does anyone know the file format of the unhashed, raw word-list used
>to make the spelling database (/usr/lib/spell/hlista in SCO Unix).
>Specifically, what notations are used to indicate variations on a base word?
>i.e. s, es, ed, ing, tion ... .  Or is it done by the spell program and no
>special notation is needed in the word-list?

[stuff deleted]

Me too
would like to know, since TFM is rather terse, not to say cryptic.
E.g. there seems to be a +local_words option that I have seen being used
and that seems to work (to some extent) but that is not mentioned in any
man-page I have been able to access.

Specifically I would like to know:

1. Why refuses spell to learn some words (either using +local_words, or using
spellin). E.g.: "rerouting".

2. Why spell accepts some words as correct, though I see no way how they
could (mistakenly) be derived from correct words. E.g.: "neeeds", "miist".
(This holds for a SCO=Xenix distribution where I am absolutely sure, that
nobody has tempered with /usr/lib/spell/hlist[ab], *after* installation, that
is).

3. Is there a way to see all the words currently in /usr/lib/spell/hlist[ab]?
Is that file in any way related to /usr/lib/spell/words?

Ulrich Lauther               Internet: lauther at janus.berkeley.edu
Siemens / UCB                ph: +1 415 642 3338 fax: 642 2739
				 +1 415 658 8529 home