Cannot umount /usr filesystem (ALWAYS "busy")

Gary Heston gary at sci34hub.UUCP
Wed Jun 13 01:58:08 AEST 1990

In article <DRICH.90Jun11105134 at junkbox.dialogic.com> drich at dialogic.com (Dan Rich) writes:
>Is it possible that the accounting package still has files open in
>/usr?  If so, does anyone know of a way to stop the accounting to
>prevent this?  I assume I would just need to create a "kill" script in
>/etc/rc0.d with the /usr/lib/acct/shutacct command (or just copy
>/usr/lib/acct/shutacct to /etc/rc0.d/S??acct).  Any comments?

It's possible that acct is running; look in /etc/rc2.d for an entry
of the form S22acct linked to a script in /etc/init.d. If you
find it, rename it to K22acct and accounting will not be enabled
upon your next reboot.

Regarding /usr being busy....

Several things work in /usr/spool during multiuser mode (init 2 or above)
that can cause this; the print spooler, cron, and uucp come to mind.
Cron also writes to a log file /usr/lib/cron/log periodically.

Mounting and umounting /usr is (in my experience) only possible in
single user mode.

By the way, under ISC stuff, the accounting files and cron log grow
forever. Amazing how much space they can take up; accounting is
turned off on all the systems I deal with.

--
    Gary Heston     { uunet!sci34hub!gary  }    System Mismanager
   SCI Technology, Inc.  OEM Products Department  (i.e., computers)