Tape backup performance on 386 ISA/EISA systems

Walter Mecky walter at mecky.UUCP
Fri Jun 1 10:56:41 AEST 1990

In article <1990May25.123302.26061 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
+ I am trying to collect data on the performance of the different tape
+ backup systems available for 386 bases Unix systems.  What I am
+ trying to obtain is the speed in MB/minute of backing up a file system
+ to tape.  In order to be meaningful, the file system must be at least
+ 30MB and be backed up using the following command (so that everybody
+ uses the same mechanism):
+ []
+ 	/bin/time sh -c "find . -print | cpio -oBcC 10240 > /dev/rmt0"
+ []
+ Time:		Real: 10:50.7 	User: 10.2	System: 1:17.9

Note that only the "Real" portion of time(1) is significant here, because
"User" and "System" problably are those of find(1) only.
--
Walter Mecky