Did you know SCO ODT is SINGLE USER ONLY??

Jim Morris morris at dms.UUCP
Wed Jun 13 03:02:27 AEST 1990

>From article <2591 at uakari.primate.wisc.edu>, by bin at primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral):
> From article <1092 at dms.UUCP>, by morris at dms.UUCP (Jim Morris):
>> Well the subject says it:
>> Did you  know that SCO's Open Desktop product is single user only??
>> Am I dense or did I just miss the bit about 1 login only in all the ODT hype.
>
> Does this mean the system enforces a single login at a time, or that
> many people can log in at once, but only one person can use ODT on the
> console?

I didn't install it, if I had broken the seals I would not have got my money
back.

The license states that only 1 user on a single CPU can use the system.

You can run multiple Xterm sessions from the 1 login I would think, but
as far as I can tell it does enforce a single login at a time to the
Unix system.

To get multiple user you must purchase the Open Desktop Server Upgrade for
$1495!!! This turns it into a multi user system.

I went over the sales Info I have and it appears to me to be a deliberate
attempt by SCO marketing to mislead people into buying ODT for $995, then
having to shell out another $1495 to get a useable system.

As I said I have no problem with single user Unix systems, so long as they
advertise it as such. The clever (slimy??) Marketing person who came up
with this one is responsible for losing this companies sale. Upto now we
have been using SCO xenix and Unix happily for years. But no one likes
to be taken for a ride!! Also SCO ODT is not the deal we thought it was.

For the same price as a multi-user SCO Unix, TCP/IP & NFS we can get
multiuser ESIX and NFS and manuals, and we get the devsys thrown in!!

To be honest I am still stunned by this deception, maybe I should
cooloff before posting anymore on this subject..... (Naw!)

	Still perturbed ex-SCO user.

--
Jim Morris.         {motcsd|weitek}!dms!morris or morris at dms.UUCP
Voice	(408) 434-3798