Bootup problem with SCO UNIX 3.2, redux

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Sat Jun 9 05:09:54 AEST 1990

I had earlier posted a multiple query, one item of which concerned
boot problems with version 1.0. I had noted that the root user was
using korn shell as his default shell, after confirming that running
csh caused numerous problems (later confirmed by SCO). A number of
respondents suggested resetting the default root login to /bin/sh.

I did so, but it didn't help. If I enter a <CR> at the boot: prompt,
it proceeds to the point where I should be able to enter a password
to enter maintenance mode, or <Ctrl>-D to proceed to multi-user mode.
The system responds to neither input. Yet, if I allow the system to
AUTO boot (that is, I don't respond to the boot: prompt), it will go
all the way to the Date query. A <CR> at that point brings me to
multi-user mode.

Any ideas?