FLAME ABOUT COMMERCIALS IN EMAIL [Books Account: Technical books]

Ira Baxter baxter at robespierre.ICS.UCI.EDU
Wed Jun 6 10:03:49 AEST 1990

I DO NOT THINK WE SHOULD ENCOURAGE COMMERCIALS IN NEWSGROUPS.

I received the following today:
     Date: Tue, 5 Jun 90 12:24:23 EDT
     From: Books Account ...address deleted...
     To: baxter at ...
     Subject: Technical books

     Hello.  I saw your name in  comp.unix.i386.

     Would you be interested in receiving periodic email announcements about
     new technical books in your field?  If so, can you send a note to me?
     Thank you.

     <name of marketdroid deleted>
     Market Research Dept.
     <Random Book> Publishers

DON'T RESPOND POSITIVELY TO THIS UNLESS YOU WANT NEWSGROUPS EVENTUALLY
BURIED UNDER SUCH COMMERCIAL REQUESTS.

Now, I do sympathize with commercial vendors *answering*
questions posed on newsgroups... as long as the questions
are posed by legitimate users.