Welcome to comp.unix.i386 (AKA Frequently Asked Questions)

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Thu Jun 14 06:04:32 AEST 1990

In <1990Jun1.114412.21388 at virtech.uucp> I wrote:

> 3. Is there a binary BSD port for the 386 available anywhere?
>
> 	No.  However, System V Release 4.0 will have many BSDisms including
> 	symbolic links, job control, BSD file system, sockets (implemented
> 	on top of streams).  It will also contain the SunOS memory mapped
> 	files, the Korn shell, and many other nifty things.
>
> 	The bad news is that you probably won't see any on the market
> 	until 4Q90/1Q91.  The first to hit the market will probably be
> 	Intel or Interactive.

Well, someone had to go and prove me wrong.  UHC (UnixHouse) has announced
System V R4 for the 386/486 platforms and claim that it will be available
for shipping as of July 15.  Looks like they are the first ones out of the
chute.

Pricing is not yet firm, but it looks like it will be around $4K for a
full blown unlimited user system (with all the add ons including X, SDS,
NFS, RFS, TCP/IP, etc).

As the other vendors come out with thier own releases, I would expect that
the pricing will fall and be at least compatible with the current Unix
offerings.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170