Did you know SCO ODT is SINGLE USER ONLY??

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Thu Jun 14 22:22:18 AEST 1990

In article <8915 at odin.corp.sgi.com> erik at westworld.esd.sgi.com (Erik Fortune) writes:
>SCO ODT comes in two-user and (I believe) unlimited user versions.  The
>two user version is a lot less expensive.   I have the two user version
>which means I can have as many console logins as I have virtual screens
>and a single tty line enabled.
>
>I thought this licensing scheme was pretty common -- I've seen ads for
>386/ix that list both 2-user and unlimited user prices.

It is common to have a 1-2 user license, but for most of the other products
it means that at most 2 peopl can log into the system at the same time
reguardless of the number of gettys.

This means that I can set up a system with gettys on gettys on /dev/console,
/dev/tty00, and /dev/tty01.  Users could log into any of the specified devices
until I had used up two logins.

The way I understand SCO ODT is that you can enable at most 2 gettys (vt gettys
being counted as a single getty with the console).  Which means that it is
a single user system for remote users.

>Why is this such a problem unless you're planning to run a bboard
>or set up a department machine?

It's a pain when you want to have two people log in through the tty port
while not using the console.  Now you might tell me that I shouldn't get
SCO ODT if I don't want to use the console, but that isn't the issue.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170