Looking for an Editor for SCO Unix 3.2

Rick Stout rick at crash.cts.com
Mon Jun 4 01:24:40 AEST 1990

In article <11168 at yunexus.UUCP> andrew at yunexus.UUCP (Andrew Kleiman) writes:
>To All SCO Unix people:
>
>Does anyone know of a better editor for SCO Unix 3.2 then vi.  I know of
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^                 ^^^^^^^
   You must mean 'more friendly to the uninitiated user'
   Either that or you don't know vi.

>two other editors, Emacs and Jove.  Has anyone installed it successfully on
>SCO Unix 3.2 ?  Also does anyone know where I can get it.
>
>Has anyone tried WordPerfect 5.0 for Unix ?

WordPerfect says their SCO Unix version won't be out until near the end
of the year.

The Xenix distribution actually runs fine on Unix, the problem is in
all the fancy(stupid) things WordPerfect tries to do with printing.
The Xenix distribution would go and replace your
/usr/spool/lp/interface/whatever files with a WP 'filter' script which
would determine if a file sent to the spooler was a WordPerfect file
or not, then treat it different if was a WP file.

The Unix directory structures under /usr/spool/lp are not even the
same as the Xenix ones.  I'd say WordPerfect wasn't too smart when
they thought they'd get fancy with their 'print server'.

-Rick