Xstreams Mysteries

Bret Orsburn bret at codonics.com
Thu Mar 15 18:04:31 AEST 1990

Hello again, Xnetlanders and 386'ers.

Thanks to all who have helped me with my recent X and 386/ix questions.

I'm still trying to build a couple of X11R4 clients under ISC 386/ix 2.0.2.

I tried to build a sockets version, but the #ifdef's just aren't set up for
that, and the code changes started piling up....

So, I went with a STREAMS version. I can get a (sort of) clean build of Xlib
using:

                      -Datt -DSYSV -DUSG -D__TIMEVAL__
                                      &
                                -DSTREAMSCONN

but a clean build does not a working client make.

There are a good many mysteries awaiting the uninitiated in Xstreams.c.
A thorough grep'ing of oldnews got me past the /usr/X/lib/Xconnections
file, but now I'm up against /dev/X/nameserver, and (to quote a prominent
CEO) I've got nary a clue. A perusal of Xstreams.h shows that I still have
/dev/X/server, /usr/X/lib/net, and /usr/X to look forward to (at a minimum).

I'll gladly RTFM. Which ones would you good folks suggest?

TIA.

bret at codonics.com
uunet!codonics!bret
Bret Orsburn