Bug in as on Esix V/3.2 Rev C?

Russ Taylor rtaylor at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
Fri Mar 2 03:41:23 AEST 1990

Please respond to cchase at ee.cornell.edu, Mr. Taylor is being kind
enough to post this for me, but actually has no interest in this subject.

The other day I tried compiling the latest and greatest version of gnuchess
(version 2.00, available by anonymous ftp from you favorite gnu site).
Well, I set the Makefile to use gcc with my favorite optimiation flags
and started the compilation.

gcc seemed to go fine, but when it got to be assembly time, things
went awry.  The assembler created a couple of temporary files in /tmp, no
big deal, right?  Wrong!  One of the temporary files grew to 2Mbytes in
size and exceeded my ulimit.  I tried raising the ulimit to 4Mbytes, but
it exceeded that too.

Well, this was just plain silly.  The assembly code is about 11,000 lines
or about 170Kbytes in size.  The gnu assembler handles it just fine,
but the Esix assembler can't swallow it.

BTW, I have the same problem with the assembly produced by the Esix C compiler.

The source file  is gnuchess.c from gnuchess version 2.00, if anyone would
like to try repeating the problem.

Has anybody else had this (or similar) problems with Esix V/3.2 Rev C?
Does anyone at Esix read this newsgroup?  Any comments?
Any ideas of what to try next (short of switching to the gnu assember and
converting all my libraries to gnu format, I really don't have the disk
space to keep two copies of /usr/lib)?

Thanks

Craig Chase