want PST clock not EST in ix/386

Warren Calhoun root at usaos.UUCP
Mon Mar 12 22:50:47 AEST 1990

In article <1990Mar11.231937.15412 at virtech.uucp>, cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
> In article <21 at usaos.UUCP> root at usaos.UUCP (Warren Calhoun) writes:
> >In article <9003092109.AA09255 at decwrl.dec.com>, paine at fungus.enet.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:
> >>	[question of how to get timezone correct for non-logins deleted]
>
> >As I also run 386/ix, I stopped to do a quick check for you.  When your
> >system boots, there should be a line in /etc/inittabs invoking bcheckrc.
> >The file /etc/bcheckrc should (among other things) contain the line;
> >
> >	. /etc/TIMEZONE
> >
> >...which should contain the lines;
> >
> >	TZ=EST5EDT (in my case)
> >	export TZ
> >
> >This would alleviate the necessity for any other use of a TZ= line.  It
>
> Placing the TZ stuff into the /etc/TIMEZONE file does in fact solve the
> problem, but it is not because the /etc/bcheckrc file reads the file.  It
> is because /etc/init reads the file and processes (places into its
> environment) all the VAR=junk lines.  You could almost say that /etc/TIMEZONE
> acts as an 'rc' file for init.
>
> /etc/bcheckrc is just a shell run by init (because of an entry in /etc/inittab)
> when entering multi-user mode (leaving single user mode).  Any environment
> variables set or changed there will have no effect on the environment
> for any other program.

I suppose that it's possible that I misunderstood my bcheckrc file.  Why, then
is the . /etc/TIMEZONE line in it and why does /etc/TIMEZONE export the TZ
variable if init does it directly?

#ident	"@(#)bcheckrc	1.0 - 90/01/11"
#	This file has those commands necessary to check the file systems,
#	date, and anything else that should be done before mounting the
#	file systems.

#!	chmod +x ${file}

rootfs=/dev/root
/etc/fsstat ${rootfs}  >/dev/null 2>&1

if [ $? -ne 0 ]
then	/etc/dumpsave
	echo "fsstat: The root file system is in need of repair."
        echo "The root file system (${rootfs}) will be repaired automatically."
	/etc/fsck -y -s -D -b ${rootfs}
fi

trap "" 2
. /etc/TIMEZONE
echo "The date is `date`"
/etc/devnm / | grep -v swap | /etc/setmnt