tar & ulimit are pissing me off.

Kaleb Keithley kaleb at mars.jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Mar 13 07:58:50 AEST 1990

In article <183 at hacker.UUCP> steve at hacker.UUCP (Stephen M. Youndt) writes:
> ulimit 20000
> cat gcc-1.36.tar.Z.*[0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10] > gcc-1.36.tar.Z
> uncompress gcc-1.36.tar
> tar xf gcc-1.36.tar
>
>At this point I get, "tar: directory checksum error"
>which has the effect of depriving me of some fairly vital files.
>
>or both of these problems.  Is there is way to permanently set ULIMIT?  Is this

You can set ULIMIT higher in your configuration files and rebuild the
kernel, but even better, would be to link "zcat" to "compress"
(uncompress is also a link to compress, it just checks the command line
to see what to do) and then "zcat gcc-1.36.tar | tar xvf -"

But this won't cure the fact that you have a checksum error in your
tar file.

kaleb at mars.jpl.nasa.gov            Jet Propeller Labs
Kaleb Keithley

spelling and grammar flames > /dev/null