Whither SCO?

Rob Peglar rpeglar at csinc.UUCP
Fri Mar 9 03:38:07 AEST 1990

Been following the recent thread regarding SCO and the Great Xenix/Unix
Question.

As a software developer who has seen all sides of SCO as a company, good
and bad, perhaps I can be just vain enough to offer a little advice.

1.  If you really are ticked off that Unix costs so much, don't buy it.
It's much easier to switch than fight.  Save your flames and some money,
buy something else.

2.  If you don't like the [robustness|security flaws|performance|support
|ODT|X|whatever]  follow advice number 1.  Don't buy it.  Buy something else.

3.  Don't try to tell SCO what to do cast in a negative sense;  I've tried
it and learned that SCO ignores flames.  SCO *will* pay close attention to
you, the individual software developer, if you couch your remarks in a
positive sense.  You'd be surprised at how far you can get (even impressing
Doug himself) with just a little forethought (hold the malice).  Verified
through personal experience.

4.  Many people from SCO sales/mktg/eng/support have told me that SCO is
switching from an engineering-driven company to a sales-driven company.
In other words, SCO will apply its scant resources (no joke) to the mission
of generating new revenue streams, as opposed to incremental revenue.  The
translation of the last sentence is that old Xenix customers aren't going
to count for much anymore;  new Unix customers are becoming very important.

5.  If you don't like the implications of advice number 4, apply advice
number 1.  Don't switch from Xenix to SCO Unix;  buy something else.

6.  In order to get the best SCO support, treat them (the support people)
with respect and kindness.  It works.  A little buttering-up goes a long
way;  hold your opinions of the SCO support people's knowledge and ability
to yourself.  Don't flame them over the phone;  people have long memories.
Lie if you have to.  Ask for David Wood if you have to.  You can insist
on your points, but be nice about it.  But do insist;  SCO eventually
gives in.  I know, I've tried it.

7.  Get the sales/mktg/account people on your side.  Every SCO user has
someone that sold them the system, be it Xenix or Unix.  Use the sales/mktg
people to get what you want.  Let them do the pushing on the inside for
you, and keep on top of them.  It works.  All I have to do is tell my
sales guys, Patrick P. and Steve S., to jump and they say "how high".  It's
nice.  They do a lot of the dirty work for me at no extra charge.

8.  Please realize that SCO has a massive problem, brought about by the
influx of OS vendors (AT&T,ISC,Everex,Intel, and counting).  The world of
selling OS'es is changing, like Eastern Europe, with the same inability to
accurately predict how things will turn out.  If you were Doug, you'd have
a problem too;  how to get a large-ish company (1100 people or so) to now
wear two hats at once, with only 40 or so software developers inhouse; the
actual people who generate the product.  (The classic "fish or cut bait"
problem).  SCO has made their decision on how to position themselves in
the marketplace.  Try as you might, you don't sit on the SCO Board of
Directors, so you can't change their minds.  The only way to express your
opinion that will make SCO sit up and take notice (well, the best way)
is to not buy SCO Unix.  Just say no.

Well.

In conclusion, I will state that I myself am not displeased with SCO Unix.
It does have its flaws, to be sure - and some of them are large - but
our company sells its products to people who have SCO Unix, and so we
will work with SCO.  However, your mileage may vary.  If your frustration
level runs deep, walk away from SCO.  It's easy.

Rob
--
Rob Peglar	Control Systems, Inc.	2675 Patton Rd., St. Paul MN 55113
...uunet!csinc!rpeglar		612-631-7800

The posting above does not necessarily represent the policies of my employer.