uucp and Interactive 1-2 user license

Chris Lewis clewis at eci386.uucp
Sat Mar 24 06:29:00 AEST 1990

In article <1254 at lemuria.UUCP> darryl at lemuria.UUCP (Darryl P. Wagoner) writes:
> I am about to buy Interactive Unix 386 and would like to have about
> 4 or 5 uucp line connect to it.  These lines will be used only for
> uucp connections and not user logins.  Is there a way to do this
> without buying a license to support more user?

Calling *out* on multiple lines won't be a problem, but ISC's technique
for limiting users (at least what I've seen in 1.0.4-1.0.6) is incapable
of distinquishing UUCP from user logins so you couldn't allow them to
simultaneously dial in without subverting the limit mechanism.

Unfortunately, it's not clear whether ISC (or many other vendor's of
user-restricted software) really intended to prohibit uucp call-ins or
not.  I wish the policy was clearer, and the mechanism capable of allowing
*legitimate* "extensions".  Then again, it's probably a strict reading
of the AT&T licensing policies.
--
Chris Lewis, Elegant Communications Inc, {uunet!attcan,utzoo}!lsuc!eci386!clewis